Questions about HighLight?
Here are the answers to our most commonly asked queries, including accessibility.
What is highlight: carnival of lights?
HighLight: Carnival of Lights is a low cost public event that transforms Upper Hutt into a wonderland of brilliant light installations and live performances over four nights at Easter weekend.
Each year, we partner with a local charity to help them raise awareness and funds. This year we have partnered with Autism NZ so please remember to bring along a gold coin for the collection buckets.
This is a uniquely Wellington region event which provides a creative laboratory for performers, artists and technicians to innovate and grow and is proudly brought to you by Late Night Lights with the help of our partners and sponsors.
WHERE IS HIGHLIGHT?
Brewtown is where the bulk of the action will be, as our Carnival Hub, but you’ll also find HighLight installations at Orongomai Marae and throughout the Upper Hutt CBD.
Do I need to bring cash?
Yes please. Autism NZ donation collectors will require cash.
IS IT SAFE FOR MY KIDS TO RUN AROUND ON THEIR OWN?
We’ve taken every precaution in the preparation of HighLight to ensure a safe event for all. However, we remind parents and caregivers that you do need to supervise your children at all times.
WILL THERE BE AN AREA FOR LOST AND FOUND ITEMS?
If you find an item please hand it to the nearest event crew member.
If you have lost an item, please email us and one of the team will be in touch.
IS THIS EVENT WASTE FREE?
In 2018, we diverted 78% of the event waste away from landfill.
All food and beverage packaging purchased onsite will be either compostable or recyclable. To support our effort to minimise event waste we ask that you consider this when bringing food or refreshments purchased offsite to HighLight.
WHY ARE YOU CHARGING WHEN IT WAS A FREE EVENT BEFORE?
HighLight: Carnival of Lights is now an independent charitable trust. We are keeping this event accessible by keeping tickets low and children free. This ticket cost helps us cover costs to bring this amazing event to the community.
HOW CAN I DONATE TO AUTISM NZ?
Collectors will be out and about on all four nights so please give generously.
When is the carnival?
Highlight is an annual event held at Brewtown and throughout Upper Hutt CBD over Easter Weekend.
Dates: 6 – 9 April 2023
- 6:30pm Gates open
- 7pm Lights on
- 10.30pm Lights turned off/event finishes
HOW DO I GET TICKETS?
Tickets can be purchased from any of the following 3 places:
- Online in advance
- At the gate
- At Whirinaki Whare Taonga
WHAT ABOUT THE WEATHER?
Short of a serious storm, HighLight is an all-weather event. There are indoor spaces and most installations and performances will go ahead in wet weather. Be prepared, wear appropriate clothes and footwear.
Update as at 4pm, Tuesday 4th April: The weather hasn’t been that flash lately, so it’s a bit wet and muddy underfoot. Wear appropriate footwear and comfortable clothes. Wheelchairs and those with accessibility issues may find some areas hard to navigate.
WHAT HAPPENS IF I LOSE MY KIDS, OR FIND A LOST CHILD?
Please report lost/found children to the nearest event staff. We ask that you keep a lost child as close to where you found them. In our experience, 90% of lost children are found when parents retrace their steps.
CAN I BRING MY DOG?
We love dogs, but on this occasion please leave them at home. It’s extremely loud, it’s busy so they might accidentally bumped in to and this isn’t fair to dogs. Keep your dog safe at home, please don’t bring them to HighLight.
WHAT ARE THE TERMS OF ENTRY?
For the comfort, safety and enjoyment of all patrons, HighLight event management reserve the right to remove or refuse entry to any patrons, without refund. Click here to read the full policy.
WILL MY PHOTOGRAPH BE USED?
Photographs and/or video will be taken at HighLight.
By purchasing tickets, you grant the event organisers full rights to use the images resulting from the photography/video filming, and any reproductions or adaptations of the images for fundraising, publicity or other purposes to help achieve the group’s aims. This might include (but is not limited to), the right to use them in printed and online publicity, social media, press releases and funding applications.
If you do not wish to be photographed please inform the photographer.
How accessible is the event?
As you know, HighLight: Carnival of Lights is a much-anticipated community event that we are committed to delivering year after year. This year, however, we have faced some unexpected challenges that have made it difficult for everyone to fully enjoy the experience.
Despite our best efforts to make the layout accessible to everyone, the ground conditions have proven to be much harder to overcome. We acknowledge that the uneven and muddy terrain is causing difficulties for those with prams, wheelchairs, walking sticks, and other mobility aids. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.
As a new charitable trust, the HighLight team has had a massive hill to climb to get the event delivered again. However, we remain committed to continuous improvement and are grateful for the support of everyone who has attended so far. We appreciate your patience and understanding as we work to re-establish this awesome community event.
HOW EASY IS IT TO MOVE AROUND THE EVENT SITE?
Paths are suitable for people in wheelchairs or with limited mobility. If possible, we recommended having assistance as some surfaces may prove difficult.
WHERE ARE THE ACCESSIBLE TOILETS?
Check back in with us soon for confirmed details.
WHERE IS MOBILITY PARKING?
Check back in with us soon for confirmed details.
CAN I BRING MY REGISTERED ASSISTANCE DOG?
While we are encouraging people to leave their dogs at home, we understand that this isn’t always possible. Registered assistance dogs are welcome to enjoy HighLight with you. We’d just like to remind you that there will be lots of noise and lights in case the noise startles your dog.
IS THERE ANY STROBE LIGHTING?
There will be warnings on the approaching paths and it may be possible to bypass completely.
what is the prize?
Upload your pictures and video’s of your HighLight experience, and you’ll automatically go into the draw to WIN one of five Monterey Cinema Prize Packs.
Terms and Conditions
ENTRY QUALIFIES AS ACCEPTANCE OF THESE TERMS AND CONDITIONS:
- PROMOTER: HighLight: Carnival of Lights brought to you by Late Night Lights Trust
- ELIGIBILITY: The competition is open to anyone who shares images of HighLight. All entries must be submitted by midnight, 30 April 2023.
- HOW TO ENTER: To submit a photo for entry in the competition, you must use the image uploader. Multiple entries may be made.
- PHOTO AND VIDEO REQUIREMENTS: The photo(s) and/or video(s) must meet reasonable standards of decency. HighLight: Carnival of Lights has the sole discretion to determine whether or not a photo meets these requirements. All photos must be either JPG or PNG format.
- HOW TO WIN: The winner will be chosen randomly by the HighLight: Carnival of Lights team.
- PHOTO WINNER NOTIFICATION: The photo winners will be announced on our Facebook, Website and Instagram.
- PRIZES: Five Monterey Cinema Prize Packs
- ANNOUNCEMENTS: By submitting a photo for entry, each entrant hereby agrees to participate in any publicity related to the competition. Entrants and winners in the competition agree that their identity may be disclosed in winner announcements and promotional material. Winners also agree to have his/her image used for publicity purposes without any payment being made.
- PHOTO USAGE: By submitting a photo, the entrant agrees to allow HighLight: Carnival of Lights and its partners permission to use the image for the purposes of promoting the Carnival initiatives, now and into the future, at no cost to HighLight: Carnival of Lights. The entrant also agrees to allow HighLight: Carnival of Lights to use their photo for printed collateral, online, in store and across other marketing mediums, at HighLight: Carnival of Lights sole discretion and at no cost.
- PHOTO TALENT: By submitting the photo, the entrant declares that they have the permission of all individual(s) captured in photo(s) to share and publish their image.
- PHOTO COPYRIGHT: In submitting a photo for entry, the entrant declares that they have taken the photo and own and have sole and complete intellectual property rights to the photo.
- ENTRY FORMAT: Acceptable entries will be photo files from either digital cameras or smart phone cameras or electronic scans. No images supplied in hard copy will be accepted.
- PERSONAL INFORMATION: The collection, use and disclosure of personal information provided in connection with this competition is governed by the Privacy Laws of New Zealand. Your personal information shall not be provided to any third parties without your prior consent, but you do authorise HighLight: Carnival of Lights to be able to contact you with information pertaining to the competition or related promotions.